SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003

glenpoisson is on a distinguished road
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

Thanks again for the great suggestions everyone.

To Jeff:
Thank you for the URL''s. I had forgotten about boneyardboats. The projectboats.net site looks like it could hold some potential as well.

I appreciate your candour and reflection on your past experiences. The logic of what you say does make sense. However, you should realize that what I consider to be a renovation and refit to live-aboard conditions is probably much less than what others would find acceptable.

I don''t require much in the way of amenities (nor have interest in them). I am looking for a boat with a sound hull and deck, and a safe rigging. That is all that I need to get me started.

I may not have a comfortable berth to sleep on... my winter-rated sleeping bag and camping pad on the cabin floor will suffice.

I probably won''t have a shower... as a student, I''ll have access to the locker rooms (or possibly the marina will have showers)

The boat''s plumbing may require a lot of repairs... I''ve been looking into AirHead toilets (or something similar)

The battery system may not be up to the challenge... people sail all over the world with out refrigeration and electrical appliances

My point isn''t neccessarily to find a project boat because I think it will save me a lot of money in the long run. My reason for looking for a project boat is because I can''t afford to purchase a non-project boat. I''m ready. I''m eager. I''m excited. I''m unattached. Now is my time to make a try of this.

Please don''t get me wrong. I''m not at all disputing what you have written. I appreciate your honesty. All that I am saying is, I''ve got to begin with what I can afford. I can afford to buy an ugly old project boat and slowly work on it. I can''t afford to purchase a beautiful craft that will turn heads.

Again, I do appreciate your comments and am always willing to hear from persons that are more knowledgable and experienced than I. Keep your comments coming!

To VIEXILE:
Thanks for your input. It''s wonderful to hear that you were able to survive what I aspire to accomplish. You mentioned that you lived on a Bristol 35. How well did that size of boat suit you (with regards to living-aboard)? I realize some people don''t require any space at all while other require a floating Taj Mahal. So I am always curious to see how sailors feel about the particular size of their vessel. Thanks again for the great insight.

Oh, by the way, I''m not in Maine yet. I actually live in the Providence, RI area. If anyone knows of any good possibilities in RI or CT. I''m all ears!!!

To bayme:
She is pretty. Do you have any pictures of her interior? Do you know of any good sites out there that could tell me more about her? This may be an ignorant question but I''m here to be educated so here goes -- What is a gel coat peeler, why do you own one, why would I need one if I purchased your boat, ie: what''s wrong with the boat??? Are we looking at major problems with her hull??? As far as the damage to the wood liner that needs to be replaced -- what caused the damage? You may hear back from me after I do a little research. Thanks for the contact.

To everyone else, particularly those that have or are currently living aboard -- how do you feel about living aboard a 32 foot boat? Keep in mind that living space will be reduced after I insulate and winterize. Also, does anyone know anything about this particular brand boat, hodj?

For those of you that might wish to answer discreetly without roughling any feathers, my address is glenpoisson@hotmail.com

Thanks again everyone for the assistance. Keep it coming, it''s greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook