SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

But if you look long enough you''s be amazed at what you can find out there. For example my Farr 38 which is what I believe VIEXILE was referring to in his post, was sitting in a field in Maine, taken apart for quite a while, and in need of a serious clean up and at a price cheaper than a Bristol 35 of similar vintage in comparable condition. It was not a bargain but it was certainly less expensive than the same boat would have been all fixed up and in the water. Over the last year I have been able to whittle away at one project at a time converting her back from being almost exclusively race oriented to being a cruising boat and a single-hander.

One minor point, you don''t have to pay use tax in Maine if you can get the boat out of Maine within a reasonable period (I think it was 60 days after purchase but you should check) but you will end up paying taxes in whatever state you ultimately keep the boat. Most states have a form of reciprocity that basically credits whatever taxes you paid in one state toward your "use tax" or "sales tax" in the state where you will be keeping the boat so keep your reciepts.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook