SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003

glenpoisson is on a distinguished road
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

To WHOOSH,
First of all, I love the name!

I wouldn''t say that I''m a masochist when it comes to depriving myself (I''m assuming that you were referring to my comments about not requiring amenities). I like being comfortable as much as the next person! I definitely prefer not to suffer!!! I''m not so frugal that I would use a five gallon bucket as a long-time temporary toilet! I was simply trying to make the point that I don''t expect to have it all or need it all, right from the start.

As for the size of the boat... admitedly, I don''t know what size would meet my needs. I can say this with some certainty, 35-40 feet is the max that I would need. So I''ve been using that as my starting point.

Would I consider something smaller? Absolutely! How small could I go? I don''t know. I''ve sailed a Beneteau 23 (it may have been a 21) single-handed quite comfortably but I wouldn''t want to live on it year round in New England. I sailed an Ericson 25, years ago and if memory serves, the accomodations weren''t to bad. Would they be suitable after I have winterized her and added some sort of means to heat her? I don''t know. I''d have to take a fresh look to see if that size would be appropriate.

I''m kind of curious about Bayme''s "hodj" which is 32. I don''t think I''ve ever been on a boat of that size so I''m curious about what sort of accomodations it would have and how I could modify the interior to meet my needs. However, Bayme didn''t have much information on it and the only other reference that I could find about the boat (on the net) was by another sailor, also looking for information on his hodj.

I agree on the word of mouth theory. This is my starting point. I''ve already had three people contact me (in two days) about their boats. It''s not much but is a start! I''ve also been refer to one site that has three boats being offered to a good home for free. I''m not interested in any of them but again, it''s an encouraging start to the process.

As for your last request... ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?! Of course there will be a grand annoucement when I find my new project! You''ll receive the announcement and then right away you''ll all start receiving request for information pertaining to how I should go about fixing her!!! ; - )

Thanks again for the comments,
Glen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook