SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain plates are out, now what?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
The only reason I can think of for the surveyor to require the chainplates to be removed is that I mentioned that the only other boat like this that I have seen advertised has had the chainplates replaced? I know that a lot of well know riggers recommend replacing chainplates every 10-12 years if you are cruising full time offshore in tropical climates, I don't know if that is overkill or not. It was not as big a job as I feared, boat was well made with good access to all under deck hardware(backing plates on everything. I only had to cut out one piece of plywood behind the stove that is hidden by a piece of stainless to access genoa track nuts and stanchion bolts(I'm taking the teak decks off also). I guess I'll plan on having new ones made, might run it by a local rigger. We are doing a fairly major refit; bottom paint strip and re-paint, hull painting(Awlcraft), remove teak decks, re-glas the decks and non-skid, replace head, some electronic upgrades, furling on headstay and inner forestay with sails for both, new batteries, new canvas all around, new upholstery, diesel forced air heat system, new liferaft. I'm not doing all of it myself, my job get's in the way of a lot of important stuff!

Charlie-you gotta know the right people! I'm hauled out in Anacortes at a guys place that has done a lot of work for me before.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook