SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another 10 feet ...
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Hi SD and Sailor Mitch, thanks for responding to my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I think a lot of it depends on how the boat is setup. If the boat is setup properly, with single-handing in mind, then a boat in the mid-30's is probably just as easy to single-hand as your current boat. However, some things, mainly due to scale, are just going to be harder to do.
By properly setup I think you mean making sure the lines are all led back to the cockpit and that kind of a thing. If not, could you say a little more about this ? I would appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD
Your ground tackle is going to be larger and heavier. Stowing your anchor is going to be more difficult. Raising it and dropping it may not be, especially if your next boat has an powered windlass.
What I was thinking here is that I would keep some manual winches, come-alongs I guess they are called, in case I get into trouble too. As a last resort if the windlass fails I could probably use them to figure out how to get the anchor up even if it takes a while to do it that way. I have a good 12 vdc winch too that I could bring along in case things get really stubborn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD
The boat is going to have far more inertia... so your old habits of fending it off manually are going to have to change or you're more than likely to get badly hurt. A boat in the 25-28' range is probably under 8000 lbs. A boat in the 35-37' range may well be 12,000-20,000 lbs.
I think this is going to be a real challenge to learn. So far I really haven't had to learn proper docking techniques, I've kind of figured it out as I went along. I know about spring lines and such but I have not done those kinds of things in any routine way on my current boat. I guess it's time to break out the docking book I have and start reading it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD
Beth Leonard, author of the Voyager's Handbook, said that when they moved up to the larger boat, she was glad that she had started on the smaller boat, as the smaller boat was often far more forgiving in terms of poor seamanship. The forces on the larger boat's larger sails, and the boat's greater inertia means that it is often much harder to recover from making a mistake, as well as possibly more dangerous to make the mistake in the first place.
One thing I know I will have to learn more about is doing things like putting a gybe preventer (discourager ?) on the boat, things of that nature. So far I haven't had to do much of that. I've actually never gybed my boat accidentally, yet, I attribute that to good sailing instruction more than any genius on my part, but I know that things can happen when you aren't paying attention and it's best to be safe. I have put my boat in irons a few times, and I suspect that would be harder to recover from on a bigger boat. One thing I really am worried about is that on my current boat I have on occasion got the sails and/or lines wrapped around things and that is difficult enough to recover from on a small boat, I can't imagine how that's going to be with much larger sails. Even doing something dumb like accidentally sending the bitter end up the mast would be a real PITA with a higher mast, I've done that once on my smaller boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD
One last point—a bigger boat will often draw more water... so some of the routes you're used to using may need to be revised. One of my friends found this out the hard way, going from a 24' trimaran with a 4' draft (dagger board down) to a 36' monohull with a 6' draft. Got stuck a few times in the learning process.
This should be pretty straightforward for me because I'll have to change to a new location to dock the boat anyway, my current location doesn't have the bridge clearance for a higher mast, probably doesn't have the depth either. So for better and worse it'll all be new with a new boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mitch
I went from a 27 footer to a 33 footer, primarily single-handing both. The 33 displaces about twice what the 27 did, so in theory I have twice the boat to handle. I agree with what the others have said about the bigger boat being easier to handle. My take on it is that the bigger boat is more foregiving in most ways compared to the smaller boat because of the slower reaction time.
This is a bit of a comfort to me because it's one of my bigger concerns. My concern is I will get a bigger boat then get out there and not be able to sail her out of trouble if something happens. I'm not even sure what I mean by that. I guess I mean that on my smaller boat I can kind of figure things out as I go along, I can try something and if it doesn't work I just change my sail configuration, direction, etc, and try again. I guess I can do that on a bigger boat too, but I doubt with the ease I currently enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mitch
Once underway it gets easier -- and get an autopilot, too.
I'll definitely have wind vane self steering, and I was considering getting one of the small tiller type autopilots for moving around under power when I don't want to steer the boat.

Thank you again for the responses!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-01-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook