SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003

Willie Sink is on a distinguished road
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

I too, am in the same boat as you (figuratively speaking of course...)! As one who has been compiling a medium-sized naval fleet for several years now, I feel singularly qualified to offer my two-cents in regard to your predicament.
First, and foremost,DO NOT BUY A WOODEN BOAT! Unless you are on a first name basis with Norm Abrahms of This Old House, you will be utterly overwhelmed.
My first ''big''boat was an old ''73 Carver 28'' that sailed the hard for several years until it was ultimately scrapped and turned into firewod for our saturday bight campfires at the marina. I still have the starboard nav light which I connected to an old AC adapter and which now serves as a night light at my father''s house.
That is all that is left of my $2800 Carver dream.

As to a plastic boat, yes! And marina''s are the place to find them. CHEAP! Find a municipal marina, and sometime shortly after the spring dockage fee deadline, askabout the abandoned vessels.

Last year I acquired a 24'' houseboat for $500. Needed a motor overhaul, and a new outdrive. Best deal ever!

Also look on ebay- every now and again a real bargain is found. But nothing beats the marina approach. This spring, I''m going to buy a Hunter sailboat that way...
Good luck!

And yes, I''ve been a liveaboard on the Mississippi in Minnesota, so it can be done. And the best part is, the whole darn marina is yours alone for five-months of the year!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook