SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Chartering BVI
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008

gharr8 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in the BVI's

My girl friend and I chartered a 34' Benetau (sp?) from Footloose. Here is a summary of our experience:

What a wonderful place to visit and charter. Fantastic. Many great islands and harbors to visit. Great sailing...!!!

Footloose is an offshoot of The Moorings chartering comp. The older Moorings boats are repainted with a yellow stripe and become part of the Footloose fleet. The boats are used and little worn but also the price is less.

The boat was fine with two exceptions:
1. Barnacles. The bottom was entirely, and I mean every square inch of bottom, including keel and rudder were covered in barnacles. Greatly decreased the sailing ability of the boat.
2. The fresh water holding tank was cracked and we quickly were out of fresh water. (Not good when the Lady is in the shower with shampoo in her hair and yells out "There's no water!!!")

We left Road Town headed south for Peter Island and Norman Island. Great places but also very popular. Headed to the west to Sopers Hole, a great little town and the only marina on the west side with docks, fuel, WATER and facilities, groceries, provisions. Up the west side to Cane Garden Bay. The Lady liked the beach there so much we stayed two days.

The mooring balls in all the harbors are a great convenience ,so there is little to worry about anchoring. We were there in August, last minute plans, so the anchorages were not crowded. I hear it can be very crowded in season.

Thanks for letting me relive the trip. That's just a small portion. Great place and I would highly recommend it.

Good winds, safe sailing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook