SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Chartering BVI
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 01-04-2008
Zanshin

Roxbury - that is an odd recommendation, since they prefer their boats (and charter guests) to not take a pounding. Just last month I went from Great Harbour to Trellis and about two miles upwind of Sandy Cay, while pounding and slamming upwind against those swells but still doing hull speed (8 knots). The forces snapped the [slightly chafed] painter to my dinghy and it took me while to get the sails down and fire up the diesel in order to retrieve it [I'm alone on the boat]. By the time I had caught up to the dinghy it was pretty close to the reefs and I almost gave up trying to snag it - I ended up getting upwind of it, reversing until I was close and then putting the engine in neutral while trying to pull the heavy dinghy onto the sugar scoop and putting an old halyard line onto it.

p.s. If you grab a non-airconditioned mini-bus cab, the public kind with lots of advertising on the side, you can get a non-tourist rate of a couple of bucks to most destination. Or negotiate the price before getting in - I've gotten $5 rides from Nanny Cay to Hodges Creek that way. The only place that doesn't work is for airport runs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome