SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying Warm and Dry at Sea
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I had a heated vest (from a company called Eclipse IIRC) when I was riding year round. It was great under winter motorcycle gear or a snowmobile suit. The vest was plenty to keep my whole body warm. The only downsides on a boat are unplugging and plugging when you have to leave the cockpit and the power drain.
I read up on the power drain because that is a concern of mine too, and it is certainly not non-existent. Using Gerbing as an example, they say that the socks use about 1.8 - 2.1 amps (at 12vdc'ish), pants 3.6 - 4 amps, and a vest liner uses 4.5 - 4.6. That's about 11 amps for the whole outfit, or 130 watts continuous. That's enough to be concerned about if all you had were solar panels, though it probably wouldn't be a concern at all with a wind generator in winter.

I ordered something earlier today to try it out and see how well they work.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook