SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying Warm and Dry at Sea
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008
Jon Held

jheldatksuedu is on a distinguished road
Synthetic or wool stocking cap and socks, layers of clothing and good fowl weather gear. Keep your head and feet warm, head because it's where most heat is lost and feet because that's where it seems to hurt the most when they are cold and wet. Get stuff big so things can breath, it's air that does the insulating. I wear my life vest under the fowl weather gear, BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST, that's best. I use wool socks and big pullover boots, use the drawstring on your hood to keep the water and breeze out. Make sure your foul weather gear is big enough to fit over your high top boots. Good waterproof gloves, again with plenty of air in them, keep your hands dry when needed, if you have to tie a knot the gloves come off, but as long as the rest of the body is warm it's OK. The old kids mitten trick with the string through the sleeves to connect them together might be good, I do add a lanyard with a loop so I can "tie" them or hook them someplace. Never went so far as to string my sleeves though. The loop, a slip knot fits around the cuff before you put them on. A woodstove in the cabin is real nice too, burning coal or wood (preferred) or even diesel. I keep a couple milk crates of kindling full from trips ashore. It doesn't take much to take the chill off a sailboat and it sure is nice to have a place to warm your hands and keep a kettle of water warm for hot chocolate.

Last edited by jheldatksuedu; 01-04-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook