SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying Warm and Dry at Sea
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Dry suit

I am an avid climber, skier, cyclist, etc. that likes to go out in all types of weather. Gore-Tex stuff is the best for a variety of reasons including, lifetime guarantee, waterproof and breathability. The problem with a lot of the lightweight Gore-tex stuff use in climbing or biking stuff is that it doesn't often do well with abrasion; which can be nemisis if you are sliding/rubbing against a deck surface on a boat. My Henri Llyod stuff is almost like pack cloth, so it is bombproof, but very heavy.

If you are going to be on-deck in nasty stuff all day, I recommend a good drysuit; specifically one designed for sea kayaking. The are very maneuverable, and waterproof. The newer models have very comfortable and waterproof punch through necks instead of latex seals and you'll have no water down the sleeve problems because of wrist seals. Almost all now come with integral WP socks. A layer or two underneath and you'll stay dry and comfy in water as low as 35 deg F.

The cost anywhere from 400 to $900, depending on gore-tex or not.

Check out NRS for models. I have one and use it all the time for both spring/fall and winter kayaking in the NOrtheast and the days where it gets crummy during an early spring or late fall sail.

Doc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook