SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lazy Jacks??
Thread: Lazy Jacks??
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Lazy Jacks??

I would be glad to send you the hardware I removed from my boat that was once a harken lazy jack system. Unless you have a really big boat (more than 40 feet) they are simply more trouble that they''re worth. On my 34 foot boat they would always hang up on the battons when raising or lowering the main if the vessel was not directly into the wind. A main sail from a boat smaller than 40 feet is not so much sail cloth that it cannot be women/man handled. I know all of the manufacturers of this type of equipment will claim that the lines were lead incorrectly on my boat and that is why it did not work, they were not! When considering so called saftey features such as lazy jacks for smaller boats I always apply the KISS theory "keep it simple stupid". I single hand most of the time, regardless of who makes the hardware, all of these systems have the same inherant limitations. A good autopilot (when single handing) is a more helpful device to keep the boat into the wind when taking down the main than any sail containment contraption. Thats my story and I''m sticking to it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook