SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying in Venezuela or N. Brazil?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Buying in Venezuela or N. Brazil?

Jeff:

Congrats on all the extra loot you can come up with! There will inevitably be a few things you will struggle with (surprises, money-wise) as the adventure begins, so be sure to hold some of this in reserve. Examples might be a new prop when doing the haul, or more charts than you expected (tho'' you''ll find yachties swapping charts anywhere there''s an architecture firm with a large format copier), or some inland travel expenses when you want to actually *see* the place you''ve anchored off of.

"I can live on a backpacker budget for extended periods..." Well, yes & no. Some places (e.g. the Honduran Bay Is. are set up for the "eco-tourist" - aka: European/U.S. backpacker - but in many E Caribbean islands, this is less true. Their gig is the cash-laden tourist and charterer with less time and more money. Also, don''t overlook the fact that petty crime, including armed assaults, are not unheard of down there. E.g. you don''t want to hike into the bush a 100 yards and spread out your tarp in POS, Trinidad - crime can be a real problem if you put yourself in the wrong (aka: dumb) place at the wrong time. Use common sense and ''no worries''...

Yes, please keep me posted. You''ll see my ''shoreside'' email address posted here.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook