SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lazy Jacks??
Thread: Lazy Jacks??
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Lazy Jacks??

Not to be argumentative but I have to completely disagree with Denr. On a bang for the buck scale, I think that lazy jacks are tops for convenience. I have a 35'' high performance boat and I find that the main is huge! While it is quite simple to hold the boat directly into the wind while you are raising the main, you can, if you install the right lazy jack system, tie back the legs and raise the sail freely. The only time the legs need to be deployed is when you are dropping the sail. There is nothing more simple than lazy jacks considering the other possiblities including in the mast and in the boom furling and the dutchman systems. All that being said, I would have to completely agree that an autopilot is an excellent investment short-handed or not. I use mine extensively both when single-handed and on any passages as it simply allows you to do other things and it is alot less fatiguing not having to stare at a compass or gps while steering a course for a mark that is beyond eyesight. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook