SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 32 vs Irwin 34
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
I own a 1984 Irwin Citation but I have no experience with the Morgan. I've been very happy with the Irwin as it points well (with proper trim), is not too tender (I'll reef at over 15 knots wind), it is solidly built, I've never heard of one with a blistered hull ( I've seen Morgans in the yard getting their hulls stripped), etc. It is good on broad and beam reach,also. It single hands fine although, as the winches are rather forward, I single hand in front of the pedestal. There is tons of room for a 34' and it's laid out nicely. Every thing in the cabin that was original in the cabin (water pressure/heat, stove, electrical) all work still.
The ports leaked as the wood paneling was installed right up to the holes cut for the ports and the ports were installed right over the wood and as the boat flexed, leaks started. This is a constant in these Citations. I'm reinstalling new Gray ports right on the fiberglass and installing new strip paneling around the port flanges rather than under them. This is the only real problem I found on a really reasonably priced boat.
Length 34'7"
Beam 11'2"
Bridge clearance 46'2"
Draft 4'8"
Yanmar 3GMF 20 HP

I know little about Morgan sailboats other than I understand they have a good reputation.

DEFINITELY get a survey on any previously owned boat. A surveyor as unknown to the broker as you can find, if that is possible. I looked at boats for two years and had more than one survey done before I found this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34

Last edited by citation34; 01-05-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook