SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cutting floor board?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Cutting floor board?

Our first winter project - We are in the midst of refinishing our Endeavour 33 floor.

We were able to unscrew and take the floor out of the boat. It is a teak & holly layer on plywood.

I would like to cut one of the boards. As we have no experience with saws and trying to make a nice cut, could someone recommend the type of saw we should try to borrow, or should we take it to a lumber yard and have it cut? We have a circular saw -and I am wondering if I bought a new blade for it would it make a nice clean cut....

You might ask why I want to cut it. The bilge pump is under the major piece of floor which is held down with 25-30 screws.

The floor has 2 panels which you can pick up, but neither are anywhere near where that bilge pump is, so you cannot eyeball it or the water level easily, and you cannot get a manual bilge pump in there to pump it dry. I really think the 2 access panels which lift up are useless.

My spouse says that the boat has been this way for many years, why change it. I feel better being able to get in there. We bought the boat this past summer, and I am surprised the surveyor did not point this out.

If we cut it, I wuld only have about 5 screws to unscrew to lift that piece over the bilge pump.

I guess another solution would be to take it to a carpenter and have them cut it and make a liftable panel right over the bilge pump- but this would be a bit pricey for an old floor (alhtought it is refinishing fairly well).

Anybody else have a blige with poor access to the pump area? Is this common? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks, SaltyPat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook