SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing characteristics of a PSC 31/32
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008

Mortimer49735 is on a distinguished road
I own a 1989 PSC 31 and prior a Dana 24. Both were cutter rigged. The Dana was perfect and a dream to sail. You do not experience yaw in either boat. My 31 has a wheel and because you can't feel the tiller pressure is a little harder to set the sails perfectly. However, I thought the sails were harder to manage on the 31. On a broad reach you can hit 7.8 knots in an above moderate blow. With both foresails, I believe we point as well as most other boats and never felt disadvantaged. Trick is to put reefs in main and keep the foresails up.

Here is the problem with the 31. The water tanks are not SS, but instead fiberglass with either a plexiglass or plywood top that is siliconed in place. On my Dana the water tank was SS. In any event, it has been my experience that the aft water tank under the quarterbirth has a habit of leaking near the outer edge near the hull. You must remove the plywood and reseal it in silicone every few years to ensure no leaks.

If you install air conditioning and/or refrigeration you will find that hanging locker stowage is almost nil unless you get really inventive where you place the compressor(s). However, here are some plus marks, the cockpit layout works well and the boat is very comfortable.

Last edited by Mortimer49735; 07-26-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook