SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cutting through hole
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Cutting through hole

I got a Dickinson Newport propane heater for xmas. I'm trying to decide where to put it. There is a nice spot in the cabin for it where there is already a hole for the chimney. The hole is currently occupied by a nonworking solar fan. However, the recommended minimum chimney length is two feet. The chimney length in this spot would be closer to one foot.

There is another spot in the cabin where it would look even nicer, and the chimney length there would be at least two feet. However, I would have to cut a new hole for it. I've never cut a hole in fiberglass. The hole diameter would be three inches. If I put the chimney there, how would I go about cutting the hole? I have a portable drill on board and a bunch of other tools. The only saw I have is a hacksaw, but I suppose I could borrow or buy the appropriate saw.

I was thinking of drilling multiple small holes around the perimeter of the large hole, cutting between them and then filing for a measured regular circle. I've done this in other materials. Is there a better procedure when working with fiberglass?

Thanks,
Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
http://nautib.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook