SailNet Community - View Single Post - Balsa cored hulls - old boats
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Balsa cored hulls - old boats

Gene,

Can''t bite my tongue on this... I,m glad a cored hull has worked out for you. I''m no expert, however I''ll share my personal experience, for whatever it''s worth.

I raced a C&C 30 for many years in the early ''80s in a rocky coastal area. No matter how careful one was, with the heat of the battle and flying sheets and guys, eventually you made a mistake and hit a rock. The good thing was that the early C&Cs were very solid boats and would bounce over a rock at 6 knots with nothing to show for it other than a knuckle in the leading edge of the lead keel. The local owners of 24s, 25s, 27s, 30s, 33s, and 35s all shared this experience, some more than others.
C&C introduced cored hulls with the 34 which shortly showed up in the fleet. When the first 34 owner pulled his boat a few days after the introductory rock experience (just to check), the hull took several weeks to stop leaking the water it had absorbed, beginning the cycle of many years of repairs of escalating expensiveness.
So I''m no expert, but it seems to me that cored hulls can be fine unless they get damaged, in which case you can be hosed. My inexpert comment would be why take the risk if you have a choice?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook