SailNet Community - View Single Post - another missing sailor
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The guy was a novice sailor on a new to him boat. He was going to do a fairly long coastal trip (60 nm) with the Santa Ana winds blowing off the land. He had cases of Corona beer aboard...

I see so many problems with this, it ain't funny. First, he was a novice sailor on a new-to-him boat. That alone is a recipe for disaster.

Second, he didn't file a float plan. That's why it's taken three months for anyone to realize he was missing—and the boat is now in Hawaii.

Third, the cases of Corona beer doesn't lead me to believe Bunker was the type to sail sober. Sailing and drinking don't mix well. Sailing singlehanded, on a new-to-you boat and drinking are a good way to win a Darwin Award.

Fourth, the Santa Ana winds were starting up. Santa Ana winds can be truly hellacious. I don't know if I'd want to be out sailing in them myself.

I'd be curious to know if the boat had jacklines run. I'm willing to bet it didn't. I'm also willing to bet he didn't have a harness and tether.

Finally, the boat had some indications of a fire aboard, yet no PAN-PAN or MAYDAY call was ever heard. If I had a fire aboard, I'd at least want to issue a PAN-PAN about it... wouldn't you???

UGH... it's stories like this that make me wonder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-09-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook