SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lockley Sea Witch Repairs
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008

JoesBlues is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoesBlues
Lockley Sea Witch Repairs

Hey All, new member here with a question. I don't know if this belongs in the maintenance area, if so mods please move. Ok -

I purchased a Lockley Sea Witch on E-bay for 400 dollars. In hindsight it might have been a poor purchase, however I should have gone and looked at the boat before buying. Anyway, the boat is plastic, with closed cell foam about 2-3" thick, followed by another layer of plastic for the inside. There are several LARGE gouges in the plastic that are cutting into the foam and the seller repaired with what looks like injectable foam. (very ugly yellow color) The boat will sail, however I want to clean it up and make it a nice dinghy for myself and my family. Question is this, can you put glass over the existing plasic hull? My plan was to sand the plastic with coarse sandpaper, apply several layers of alternate mat and roven woving, while filling and fairing the areas that were gouged out. Do you thing the epoxy will bond to the plastic? Would it be better to take off the plastic and bond to the foam (is that possible) Any other methods that would work better than what I mentioned? Any help is much much appreciated. I plan on taking pictures of the process and making a blog out of it. It will give me something to keep me busy during the winter. Once again thanks to anyone who can help.

- Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook