SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine AIS: Don't Buy It!
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008

mallo is on a distinguished road
NASA AIS problems

We fitted a NASA AIS Engine feeding a Raymarine ďEĒ Series plotter when we re-fitted the boat two seasons ago, when the AIS unit worked it was very good, but I am now on 5th or 6th unit(engine) they just seem to keep on packing up.
I have sent all the units back to NASA and they have sent a new one back to me, but I am getting fed up with this situation, I have yet to have an answer to why they have been packing up.
I have offered to bring the boat over to their area so that we can source the problem and they arenít particularly interested. I have spoken to other people who have fitted them to find out how they were getting on with them as the responses were fairly mixed, the conclusion I came to that the majority worked well but a few didnít.
NASA tell me that they havenít had any returned, but they are hardly going to admit they have!
I have tried a new aerial I even have a spare one that I can test with, I was looking at a Raymarine AIS unit at the end of last season but decided to leave it till this season, I read a post a few days ago saying not to buy it.
I am unsure what the problem with the Raymarine unit is as our NASA unit alarmed saying ďAIS connection lostĒ when ships were out of range, as we are in a fairly busy (shipping wise) area itís great when itís working and would have it again. I can understand the different ideas as to having it as a stand alone or incorporated into an existing unit I would try and in my opinion steer away from having to use it on a laptop as there are a lot more things to go wrong. The current plotters are pretty bullet proof.
I will probably go down the Raymarine route to keep the system all the same as the NASA unit has died again.
I am very pleased with the rest of the Raymarine units. I would be interested in other peoples input.
Also in an earlier post someone was looking at a SITEX AIS system and they look exactly like the NASA system I am just wondering if the are the same just with different casings??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook