SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Philoshopical Question
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
A Philoshopical Question

I think there is some discussion to be had with respect to CC''s and interior cabin space and accomodations. When I was searching for my boat, a Wauquiez Hood 38, 22,000 lbs displ, I looked at several boats up to 43 ft LOA that were CC''s. As I wanted a boat that could serve as a possible livaboard in the future, cabin layout and space was important.

I contend that a 42 ft CC has about the same cabin "space" down below as many aft cockpit 38''s. If you look at two very popular 42 and 43ft CC''s: the Whitby 42 and Morgan 43 CC, you will find that in order to accomodate the CC, the main salon is pushed forward to where the beam begins to narrow greatly and the layout is essentially identical to any 38 footer. In fact, in the case of the Morgan 43, the cabin is pinched so far forward to accomodate the CC and large aft stateroom, that the salon is just two straight "yacht 101" settees and the Vee berth almost too small to sleep in (IMHO). Yes, you get the large aft stateroom and a CC on deck....but it is, in my opinion, at the expense of the main salon.

I think there are pro''s and con''s to the CC configuration. But I think it is fair to say that it comes at the expense listed above.

Just a thought.

My best to all

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook