SailNet Community - View Single Post - companion way doors
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
companion way doors

I put nice companionway doors on my C36 and I love them. At first I thought I would only use them in at dock or what have you, but I have left them on virtually all the time. The light that they bring in and the ease of opening and closing due to inclimate weather is a godsend. They align very well even though they are fairly long. They are very nicely custom made hatches , albeit, not cheap.

Take a look they are at http://www.cruisingconcepts.com/Codoor.htm

I have left them on even when sailing in 10-12 foot seas. No I wouldn''t want to fall against them, I really don''t think they''d hold up that well and would most likely turn to tinder if I did.

But another nice feauture of these doors is that they can lift off and you can still use the original drop in hatches. If it got *really* snotty, I would put the drop in slides, but in the 2 years I''ve owned the doors I have yet to put the drop in slide back.

As far as safety goes. If anyone really wants to break into a boat with drop in slides, all they need is a bolt cutter. I would argue its not much harder to break into any boat when a thief wants something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook