SailNet Community - View Single Post - learning to sail
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-12-2008
camaraderie's Avatar
Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 13,877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 17
That is called a boom VANG. It is used to control the vertical angle of the boom while you use your mainsheet to control the horizontal angle. On boats without a vang...the mainsheet does double duty and is less effective at controlling sail twist and loss of power.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
camaraderie is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome