SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter liveaboards, what's it like ?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008

Jack424 is on a distinguished road
This is the 2nd winter my wife and I have been living aboard our Pearson 424 Ketch in the Toronto area. We shrink wrap the boat to keep snow off,keep drafts to a minimum and it helps insulate the boat. We keep a bubbler going in the water when the temperatures drop below freezing. The bubbler aggitates the water and brings warmer water up from the bottom and forces it along the length of the hull. We haven't had any ice to speak of this year so far, but February can be a bear.
For fresh water our club has hoses that we put out under water with caps on the ends, we just pull them up and top up our tanks, this is ussually done on warmer days. As far as pump outs go, the club has a portable pump-out cart and we use the club house when convient. We also shower in the club house.
We have 60 amps of power that lets us use 2 or 3 electric heaters that keep the boat quite warm, 68 to 72 degrees. We sit around in jeans and T shirts. An electric blanket helps at night, and we have a small bulkhead mounted heater for back-up. Cooking on board warms things up also, at times we have to open hatches to cool the place down.
During the day when we are at work my wife turns a small occillating fan on and pulls the backs of the settee cushions ajar to let the air flow in the lockers, good air circulation is important.
All things concidered, it's great. You can work on some of those projects all winter and you get more time on your boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook