SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broker question.
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Broker question.

Ok, all the pieces are coming together. We sold the boat we bought on a whim 2 seasons ago as a starter just to see if we liked sailing. We decided sailing is for us and now are looking for a "step up" boat that has the features we liked from our O'day 32, plus some of the comfort and convienience stuff that boat lacked. We've done the research, set our budget and looked at tons of boats from 32-38' and have narrowed our choices down to a couple of models. Of the models we are interested in, there are a few of each on the market locally and we are close to deciding which to make an offer on first. I've looked up BUC values and gotten value estimates from BoatUS and have an idea what to offer. (That said, If anyone would like to offer their opinion on an offer strategy PM me and I'll link you to the YW ad).

My question at this point is, should I enlist a broker we deal with exclusively? On our previous purchase, we considered brokers more like "used car dealers" than the realtors they'd prefer to be compared to. Is there any advantage to having a "Buying broker" and "Selling broker" as would be likely on a real estate transaction? I'm "Ass-U-N-Me-ing" that they split the commission and I would not be expected to compensate a buyers broker out of pocket. Is that correct? There are a couple of boats on our list that the listing broker has already shown us. Is it too late to select a broker on our side on those boats?

Thanks in advance for all the Sailnet expertise. Boats are one of the biggest financial transactions most folks ever make, so it's great to have this wealth of experience to draw on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook