SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broker question.
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Only one of the several brokers we've spoken to thus far was a person I'd refuse to do business with and fortunately they are not the listing agent for any of our current candidates.

That said, I have been suprised at the lack of effort on the part of these brokers. I called 3 times before successfully arranging to see one boat we were interested in and none of the brokers have made any attempt to follow up, even on the boats where there was clearly some enthusiatic interest. The listing broker for the boat that is our first candidate actually complained to us that sales were slow and was calling FSBO owners trying to get new listings. Even so, He's never tried to follow up with us dispite our having gotten fairly excited as this boat he was showing us and having asked for our contact info. Boat brokers sure aren't like car dealers in that aspect, as I had dealers calling to follow up months after I bought my last car. It actually makes me wonder what exactly they do to earn a 10% commission. I sold my boat myself, but if I listed with a broker, I would be hopping mad if I knew someone had viewed my boat enthusiatically and the broker never called to try and close a sale.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 01-13-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook