SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toronto Boat Show From the Eye's of the "AVERAGE GUY"
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I went to the show yesterday.

I agree, the sailing-specific stuff was pretty hard to find.

We went with a couple of stink-potters so we had to spend some time over on the dark side.

My wife liked looking on board many of the boats - not with buying one in mind. She was looking for ideas to decorate our boat.

I went with a list (compiled with help from the board) and got some of the items. I spent about $1200.00 and figure I saved about $75.00. My tickets were 'free' (from the marina).

By the time I factor in my mileage (I traveled about 150 km each way and parking - a usureous $11.00 - and lunch - corned beef sandwiches for 2 (another gouging $17.00) I figure it probably wasn't worth the effort.
I probably would have stayed longer and spent more money but, by mid-afternoon the market-place area was a zoo.

On the topic of 'stupid things I've done recently': as soon as my car door clicked I realized that the keys were still inside and the doors were locked. I figured I would go to the show then call CAA when I was ready to leave (at least I wouldn't have to carry my keys with me.)

Anyway, got back to the car after 5 hours and found that not only were the keys locked inside, but the engine was running!

At least the car was nice and warm for the ride home.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook