SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deliver my boat - Southport, NC to Solomons, MD
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
It is 560 miles by ICW and I'd rather the boat will be motored inside. It took me 8 days of motoring and can perhaps be shortened by a day with really good planning and good weather, but not much more due to bridge schedules etc.

I found that professional captains want $300-$500 a day and very liberal expenses, (one told me "he likes to eat out when at a marina" - i.e. I have to pay his restaurant tab, in addition to provisioning and marina costs, every day!). Still, if I could throw $4000 on boat transportation - I would gladly do so without posting here. However, I cannot - so that is out of question. On the other hand, if I had time on my hands - I would gladly deliver a boat for someone for about as much as I am offering (and I would not mind trusting my boat to someone like me ). The only limiting factor would be that person's experience has to be acceptable to my insurance company. I do expect a person to have good boating experience, especially in that part of the country. I would prefer someone who has USCG license. I don't mind that person is a relative novice.

BTW, $100-$150 a day is generally what one would pay for a captain when chartering a boat in the islands (or at least this is what Moorings and Sunsail had on their price list it was last time I was there, 2 years ago)