SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard: state of mind
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003

ABullard is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard: state of mind

Hi Reid,

I agree with you that living aboard is a state of mind. It is one of living in some ways more simply, yet in some ways more complicated. On the simplicity side, you have to break away from the "accumulation of stuff" disease that is so rampant in today''s world. Yet on the other side you have to become more engaged in those things that make living aboard practical and safe. So you have to learn weather patterns and boat systems, etc.

My wife and I just achieved the goal of living aboard three weeks ago. Twelve years ago we sat down and mapped out a plan to get to this point and posted it on the refrigerator. We didn''t look at the plan often, but it was always there sub-consciously. Surprisingly we are only 18 months off that original plan. (Teenage kids will screw up any plan)

We think it is important to actually have a plan and really commit to it. If you don''t life''s distractions will cause you to lose your way and before you know it a great deal of time passes and for so many people they run out of time. So many people come up to us and congratulate us for living our dream. The sad thing is most of them say they "wish" they had followed their dream too, but didn''t or ran out of time or health, etc.

It is so nice to walk around the marina at night, listen to the Osprey''s call, the wind, and not much else. Its great to be close to nature again, even the rain and cold nights. Its great to be living again.

Tony
sv Columbine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook