SailNet Community - View Single Post - Waukegan, IL to Door County, WI
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Lk Mi

Our boat is in Manitowoc and I have sailed Lk Mi for years. You will have no problem running up the coast with a port reachable each day (assuming you have a motor). You can keep the shore in site at all times and as long as you respect the forecast and you and your boats limits it is a really nice sail.
However, if you are a true novice you must learn some fundamentals first as storms come up fast. They often don't last long but they can be very powerful.
So as a minimum before heading out be sure you can quickly reef (you must practice), learn and understand how to heave to. Understand and practice manoverboard procedures and the proper use of your radio. You are in a great sailing area but trust me, if you do not get instruction on at least what I have mentioned you can get in real trouble, Even 3 miles offshore and it will take you over a half hour to get back and that's assuming you are straight out from you port with favorable wind and seas
Most the squalls come from the west so you will not have a lee shore, low pressure storms however will typically leave you with a lee shore (the boat being pushed toward shore) so again always check weather
Have fun, hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook