SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seaferer 26 Sailboat

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  OasisII 
#1 ·
I want to purchase this 1984 Sefarer 26 but do not know much about how she handles. I do not want a pig in the water under sail. Is this a good first sailboat? Anyone, please let me know something, good or bad.

Bill

#2 ·
Seafarers were originally kit boats of dubious quality, but then a Brit named Brian Ackworth started making them in Huntington, Long Island. All the boats were designed by McCurdy and Rhodes, who are well respected. The boats sailed and tracked very well, and featured a modified fin keel and skeg-hung rudder. The 26'er tried to pack alot of room into it's 26', and of all the boats in the line, was the most tubby looking, but friends who had them liked them. They came with both an inboard and outboard option, and tiller or wheel steering. I used to have a 22' and 23', and there used to be an active Seafarer group here on the Chesapeake. I'd have a good survey, and especially look for blister and electrical issues. My 22'er outsailed my friends heavy 30' Contest.

#3 ·
I liked my Seafarer 26

I only owned it for one season as it proved to be too small for my family of 5, and they weren't comfortable sailing with the waters near the water!!
However, I thought that it was a great boat. It seemed to have a fairly good turn of speed and was fun to sail. Two complaints: The little Yanmar did not have enough power, and the boat had severe weather helm.
The weather helm could have been my fault though. Maybe the boat wasn't rigged, or tensioned properly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.