SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plastic Trash
Thread: Plastic Trash
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Plastic Trash

In the MOB thread, this post was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsbluechip View Post
...Letís see, twenty Styrofoam plates weight about an ounce or two, they are made from hydrocarbon so that means Iíve dumped about 2 ounces of crude oil into the water. Contrary to unlearned opinion, Styrofoam does not last forever. It actually breaks down into smaller and smaller particles when exposed to UV rays, in a short period of time those plates will have disappeared. Can a body of water handle millions of tons of Styrofoam repeatedly? ...
I'd like to respond as to why MARPOL prohibits any disposal of plastic in the water with a link to a video about the subject.

LINK

While I am all for doing everything possible to recover a MOB, the idea of throwing styrofoam plates into the water strikes me as incredibly stupid. It makes far more sense to throw things into the water that will be more visible and of more use to the MOB. A danbuoy, an MOB pole, a floating strobe, a type IV PFD, a LifeSling all come to mind, and the Type IV PFD and LifeSling are usually found on most boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook