SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED Replacement Bulbs?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
I enjoy the thought of LED lighting on a sailboat due to the low power usage. But when I look at new light fixtures for a sailboat they are not exactly cheap. I have seen these replacement bulbs and I was wondering if they are made to replaced regular bulbs in my non-LED fixtures.

If so that would be nice.

I am thinking this is the case because as I read about LED's it seems like they would never fo out and last forever.

Any replys will be much appreciated!
You talking interior lighting or exterior (navigation,anchor,running) ?

I'll refrain from my usual rant about the crap quality of LED lamps, it's all been said before but for interior application you DEFINITELY (he shouted) want warm white.

That aside I note that questions are being raised about LED lamps casuing radio interference so you may well need a suppressor, which is no big deal. (I'd heard this mentioned before but would refer you to this months Practical Sailor.)

As to you original question, there are LED lamps that can be retrofitted to many existing marine fixtures although with some you might need to fit a new lampholder, which again is no big deal.

Of perhaps further interest, I used a portable LED reading lamp while I was away this month and whoa mama did that sucker attract the bugs. Usually I
read in the cockpit using a kerosene lantern filled with Citronella Oil. As I get older, grumpier and bits of me start (start ?) to wear out I find I need a tidge more light ergo the experiment with the LED. No thanks, I'm going to get a better hurricane lamp.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook