SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard: state of mind
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard: state of mind

I wonder if anyone has considered the ramifications of living aboard during a terrorist attack.

Being a liveaboard seems to make me better prepared. I have at least 2 weeks of water available at all times, lots of food, the capacity to generate power, several means of communication and above all, in the worst case scenario, I can move my entire life in a hour''s notice. Being a sailor, I can even move during a fuel outage.

While that certainly is not my reason for living aboard, it seems to be a benefit.

I think one of the best parts is eschewing the materialistic lifestyle. No matter how much I want it, I''ll never buy a big-screen TV. Or new sofa. Or lots of clothes. Eventually, that becomes self-reliance, because you learn to make do with what you have. It changes your mindset.

Another great part is being a part of your world. I know the state of the tide, the moon phases and the temperature. There is an ebb and flow to life that seems more apparent living aboard. I see ducks, geese birds and deer that homeowners rarely see. I know when there are strong winds at night (and I love it). The seasons don''t touch me, they grab me and yell, "look! The snow is melting!" The air is a little warmer than it was yeterday. The water is a little clearer.

That said, if you''re gonna do it, do it right. Don''t add to the reasons marinas discriminate against liveaboards. Live on a nice boat. One that CAN leave if you want. Respect the environment and your neighbors. Don''t be viewed as "floating trailer trash". If they don''t allow liveaboards, don''t liveaboard.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook