SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED Replacement Bulbs?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
The latest PBO has an article on LED lights for navigation. Unfortunately, the replacement bulb version they tested did not come off too well. The complete new lamp installations faired better. Pity, because the replacement LED bulb is the cheapest way to save power. I guess things will improve. There are three different diode designs out there. I have not seen a navigation application using the most powerful yet.

For interior use, I have experimented both at home and on the boat. LED light is very directional, OK for spot light applications but not much good for general lighting. The "warm white" LED is a bit on the green tinge side to my eyes. At home the new conformal energy savings bulbs are winning but unlike the LED's they do have an interference issue, just like florescent tubes. Not a problem at home.

I've tried red LED for the chart table, but my old eyes find the chart difficult to read unless it's very bright. Red incandescent bulbs have a wider spectrum, so seem better to me for the chart table.

Night vision - what night vision? (Must buy a Bushnell)