SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plastic Trash
Thread: Plastic Trash
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 01-15-2008
erps
the pointy end is the bow

What's going to show up more from a helicopter, 200 white plates littering an area, or a MOB pole?

If I'm in the water, I wanna float and I wanna be found. If one of my crew doesn't throw me something to assist my chances with either because they were worried about MARPOL and I get back on board, there is going to be some 'splainin' to do. I've been on a few SAR's and while I've been first on scene a couple of times, the search doesn't really start until the helicopter arrives and I bet a bunch of styrofoam plates would catch their eye pretty quickly.

And before anyone starts calling me a stupid idiot, I carry a MOB pole, lifesling and a horseshoe buoy along with several floatation cushions in the cockpit. I do not carry styrofoam plates and I don't plan to purchase them for this special use but I don't think it's a bad idea either to assist the person in the water being located. Name calling really chills fresh ideas from coming out.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 01-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome