SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plastic Trash
Thread: Plastic Trash
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not saying that you shouldn't throw stuff overboard to help the MOB out... I am saying that you might want to think as to what you do throw overboard and whether it will be of any real use in helping recover the MOB. A danbuoy or MOB pole makes the MOB easier to see, especially in heavier seas, as does a floating strobe. A Type IV PFD may help them stay afloat, as will a LifeSling. I don't see styrofoam plates contributing to the MOB's ability to stay afloat, nor do I see them as being very useful for marking the MOBs location, given that they won't stay anywhere near the MOB.

If you don't have an MOB pole, don't have a danbuoy, don't have any floating cushions, don't have any Type IV PFDs, don't have any standard PFDs, and don't have a LifeSling, by all means—go ahead... throw out the plates... but if you don't have any of the former equipment to throw to the MOB, what the hell are you doing out on the water???

Also, another point is that a lot of the "throw the styrofoam plates" advocates say that they breakdown fairly quickly... this isn't true. And the chances of you being able to recover the MOB and the Type IV PFD he's grabbed onto, is a lot better than the chance of you recovering the MOB and the two dozen styrofoam plates that he never saw and didn't care to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboardIndigo View Post
Interesting video SD - a real eye-opener if it's legit (I don't have time to fact-check this one, but I'm assuming you have and that it wasn't posted with the same intent that the NG "Crack Spider" documentary was). I despise people who litter for no better reason than convenience.

I don't think anyone advocates throwing plates in the ocean for no reason. That being said, lots of people advocate throwing anything in the water that floats (litter the area) to help mark the location of the person you are trying to save the life of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook