SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plastic Trash
Thread: Plastic Trash
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Most environmentalists understand the danger plastics do to all marine life. During all the years we've boated on the ocean and coastal waterways, I've gone out of my way to pick up any plastics we see floating on the surface. I even collect the debris I find while scubadiving. This is something every boater should be conscious of. However, when crew goes overboard - don't even stop to think about saving gulls and fishes, throw over anything that floats to save a person's life.

Off-topic a bit, but the various MOB deployments mentioned for both rescue and signaling, got me thinking about another possibility, not yet mentioned. I have yet to try it - never even had a MOB situation while underway, but it is another method which could assist the victim well during this time-critical situation.

Many cruising sailors, myself included, typically tow an inflatable dinghy astern. If a quick-release snap shackle was lashed to an aft cleat and secured to a tow line eye, the dinghy could be deployed by the helmsman within seconds of a MOB call. The dinghy would be very visible and also provide stable floatation until the mothership reciprocates.