SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

PS 37 Cutlass Bearing

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AjariBonten 
#1 ·
I need to replace the cutlass bearing on our PS 37 #347. I would like to have the replacement bearing in hand when the boat is put on the hard. I know the shaft is 1 inch but need to know the outside diamenter of the cutlass bearing. If you have replaced the cutlass bearing on a PS 37 and know the O.D., I'd sure like to hear from you.

Also, if you have changed the cutlass bearing without dropping the rudder, I'd really like to hear how you did that.

Roland Snyder
Wayward Wind
PS 37 #347

#4 ·
PSC37 cutlass

Roland,

I own hull #372 (recently purchased) with ~1000 hours on my Yanmar 4JHE. I just replaced the cutlass bearing (which was in bad shape). The yard told me they completed the job in 30 minutes (incidently, the yard who hauled me for the survey told me that they would likely need to remove the rudder - happy to say , I did not use that yard!). Sorry I cannot help you with the dimensions.

Ken Eckert
"Zest"
Moss Landing, CA

#5 · (Edited)
How to remove Cutlass bearing?

I own a Crealock 37 Hull # 242.
I replaced the cutlass bearing without removing the rudder.
Remove the prop and look first, how much of the cutlass bearing is exposed? If it exposed more then ¼" than I believe, that you can do it.
I bought a 1and a ¾" cast iron coupling (Home depot) . I drilled and tapped 8 holes around for a 8/32 machine screws, ¼" from one end of the coupling. Than I grind the tips of the screws to a point, to make them work like a set screws.
After removing the small screws that hold the cutlass bearing to its place, I installed the coupling and the set screws into the exposed cutlass bearing. (Try to grip the cutlass as far from the end as possible.) I tighten the screws real good, and than, using a prop puller, I pulled on the coupling and got the bearing out. It takes few minuets, once you have the coupling ready.
The Cutlass bearing is: 1"x1 3/8"x 4"

#6 ·
Hi PSC, welcome aboard.

That is a really ingenious way to handle that situation. It seems like replacing cutlass bearings is either "no problem" or a "total PIA" depending on the circumstances. I've done it twice (lobster boats) and had one of each experience.

30 minutes once, 3 days the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.