SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toronto Boat Show From the Eye's of the "AVERAGE GUY"
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I went to both the Seattle boat show and Vancouver Int'l ones last year and will be again this year. It is mostly for checking out accessories for my current boating experience and a bit of entertainment. One thing was readily apparent at both shows - the ratio of power boats to sail boats, (on the hard) power boats rule at these shows. I can go back 30 years when I attended boat shows in Vancouver and can recall vividly the number of sails raised indicating the proliferation of sail boats in those days. Sailboats were much more popular back then and many displays were dedicated to sailors. Nowadays there are only a small handfull of sailboats on display on the hard. Even at the floating portion of the shows I noticed a larger percentage of power boats, with todays fuel costs I find it incomprehensible. One thing I did notice about the power boat display side of the show - they were mostly trailerable, seems to be where the market share is these days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook