SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broker question.
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
where in va?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Only one of the several brokers we've spoken to thus far was a person I'd refuse to do business with and fortunately they are not the listing agent for any of our current candidates.

That said, I have been suprised at the lack of effort on the part of these brokers. I called 3 times before successfully arranging to see one boat we were interested in and none of the brokers have made any attempt to follow up, even on the boats where there was clearly some enthusiatic interest. The listing broker for the boat that is our first candidate actually complained to us that sales were slow and was calling FSBO owners trying to get new listings. Even so, He's never tried to follow up with us dispite our having gotten fairly excited as this boat he was showing us and having asked for our contact info. Boat brokers sure aren't like car dealers in that aspect, as I had dealers calling to follow up months after I bought my last car. It actually makes me wonder what exactly they do to earn a 10% commission. I sold my boat myself, but if I listed with a broker, I would be hopping mad if I knew someone had viewed my boat enthusiatically and the broker never called to try and close a sale.
i feel your pain..had one (how best to call him a douche w/o incurring Cam's red pen), that was such a loser..he is in annapolis, and i hope he never leaves.
up in oxford, you will find tred-avon yachts..brett and barry starke are great guys. will find 'your boat' professionally and happily...
down irvington way..scott vail gets my vote (and also all my boat bizness)..
known him all my life..sold me a J/24, and my current sabre 30' mkIII.
ya have to look to find the good ones..but it is so worth it to have someone that understands and appreciate what you are looking for.
anyway..my $.02, and said advice is worth what you paid for it.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook