SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
All...I e-mailed John and confirmed that he is OK with the posting of his list here. Thank you John!
Also...for those thinking about a bluewater boat, he has several very well written generic posts about what to look for and how to decide on what is right for you. He also runs a reasonably priced personal consulting service for individuals who need ideas and specific advice and certainly has the credentials to offer such advice. Read more here:
http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html

I of course, do not agree with his decision to leave off the Tayanas from his list though he is entitled to his opinion. My guess is that it has to do with personal or friends experience. Tayanas (and others on his list) built in the 80's have lots of reported deck and tank problems, so perhaps this enters his thinking. BUT...otherwise they are very fine, seaworthy boats built to stand up to the oceans of the world. At this point, many if not most of the boats with such issues have been repaired and the problems are non-existant and others may be priced to account for the work still to be done. Obviously...a good surveyor can tell the tale...but the Tayanas are priced well below comparatively robust vessels from the same period and with most designed by Perry, are fine sailing boats. Many T37's have sailed the worlds oceans in safety and comfort and it is difficult for me to think of many other mid-80's boats of this size that provide such good value on the used boat market.