SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multifunction displays Raymarine o Garmin,other
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
N2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbear50 View Post
Going to go with new electronics on a refit, radar depth chartplotter. I have a good electrical background and some electronics, Are these units as advertised plug-n-play? Kinda like the Garmin stuff with the touch screen. I want to do this correctly and to be as current as possible. Looking for a little coaching and direction. Thanks for any recs given, Have a Great Day. John B
Hello,

As someone else wrote, NMEA2000 is the way to go. However, not everyone plays nicely. 'Simple' things depth information, wind speed, that sort of stuff is standard for NMEA2000. Radar is not. So if you really want everything on one display (chartplotter, radar, depth, etc.) then make sure to get at least the radar and chartplotter from the same place. This should be easy to do, Raymarine, Garmin, Lowrance, etc. all do that.

What is your budget? Raymarine is expensive, Garmin is mid range, Lowrance is cheap. I don't know where the other stuff falls in.

Do you plan on integrating your DSC VHF Radio? Most VHF's still use NMEA0183 (NMEA2000 VHF's are just starting to come on line) so make sure whatever chartplotter you get has at least one NMEA0183 port (most do).

If I were going to start now, I would definitely use a wireless wind instrument. Either Taktik or Maretron.

One last thing, do read Panbo, and do check out Maretron. http://www.maretron.com/

Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook