SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Lake Champlain marina
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Westport comes highly reccomended

I've bounced around a lot a different marinas. As long as we are up near Champlain, I'll always keep my boat at Westport. It is a small family run operation. They do extremely high quality service work, a great shipstore and a full bar and resturant. The place is very secure. We have never had any problems there.

I understand they do a lot of events for the marina folks on the weekends with live music, etc. . I can't vouch for this because we are always cruising somewhere. But when we come dragging our butts back in, it is so nice to sit out on the patio and be served food and drink. Labatt is right about Wilsboro. It is very nice. They have a great resturant. We prefer to be on a mooring and Westport has them. The boat stays ventilated and I enjoy the rowing to/from ritual. I'd like it even more if I was rowing to his beautiful Passport - what a ride!

As for the location in terms of sailing, Northwest bay to split rock is about 9 miles and then you are in the big lake. It can be pretty competitive in the passage up to split rock. There are often sail boats out of point bay marina looking to scrap a bit.

We often sail south at least once or twice a year to see the forts at Crown Point and Ticonderoga. The southern location also makes a nice launch for a night sail up to the northern reaches of the lake. You can sail through the night and not run out of water.

I realize there are lots of choices in marina and nothing is completely ideal. But we would love to have a cruising buddy at Westport. We have always been treated like family there.

In any event fair winds to you.

Best regards,

LH

Last edited by lharmon; 01-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook