SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Lake Champlain marina
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I would concur with LH about the activities at Westport... We always enjoyed visiting there, but it is often pretty loud in the evenings, after you've eaten at the restaurant, when you just want to kick back and listen to the silence. The docks at Willsboro are much quieter. I do wish Willsboro had moorings, but when they added their fifth dock the town made them give up the moorings they had. I also like the restaurant at Westport better. It's cheaper than the Willsboro restaurant and has darts. Of course, from Willsboro, if you have a dink, you can go over to the Bayview and have a lot of drinks and play darts.

The reason we picked Willsboro, however, was the sailing. Willsboro Bay itself is a wonderful place to sail and gives you very quick access to the central lake, and points both north and south. Northwest Bay just doesn't get the fresh winds like the main part of the lake does. When we sailed around Westport two years ago we were frequently becalmed. I can only point to a couple of times this entire past season (we sailed 78 days) when the wind was so light we had to turn on the iron genny.

On another note, I tried to put together a Sailnet get together on the lake last year and only a couple of people responded with interest. I'm going to try to get one going this year, so stay tuned.

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook