SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground
Thread: Running Aground
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is where I think you're talking about, I have some photos of a boat gone aground in that very location... These are about a decade old, and not of a lovely gaff-rigged schooner...so I don't think it was you. Especially, since your grounding was 43 years ago or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSticks View Post
On my first passage through the Annisquam, northbound, sailing wing and wing at about 7 knots, I put this boat on the sandbar at the turn just below the Rt. 128 bridge. A nice gradual incline, allowing our 19,000 lb to slide WAY up on the bar. Shortly after high water. On a Sunday afternoon. We had no dinghy, and were unable to get an anchor set abeam for healing her with the main peak halyard. It was going to be a LONG wait, with a 10 ft tide. The good samaritan from a nearby boatyard, after ferrying my wife and five month old daughter ashore, said that according to his log 153 boats landed on that spot the previous summer. At low tide we were more than 100 yards from the nearest water. There we lay, at the end of an ever-deepening long groove in the hard sand, at a perfect viewing angle from the bridge.

I made it back to work Monday morning, hoping this episode was unnoticed. I was immediately greeted by a coworker and Gloucester oldtimer, "Hope you had a clamfork." I don't think he was kidding when he said it was standard practice to transit the Annisquam with one.

My five month old daughter is now 43 and the markers have been improved somewhat, but once in awhile, when you drive over the bridge, you'll still see a big sailboat, high and dry, right down there on the same bar. And my wife always has something else going on when it's time to go sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook