SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updating my mainsail reefing rigging
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Updating my mainsail reefing rigging

Hello. I sail a Lippincott 30 and really want to upgrade her reefing system. There are reefing hooks on the front of the boom and a single block on the starboard side of the boom through which I have been running the reefing line over the second reefing hook and down and back to a cockpit winch via an upright block at the base of the mast.. Setting a second reef is very difficult as I do not have one ready to go.
fficeffice" />>>
We had to end a night sail early last year because conditions were deteriorating and I felt setting the second reef was becoming dangerous in the dark with pretty good sized waves. So we furled the jib and scooted behind an island dropped the hook and drank rum instead. That is when I told myself I would get off my butt and have the reefing rigging set before next season.
>>
I do not mind going forward and setting the reefing hooks manually. Our mainsail is set at the mast. But I do like the reefing line coming back. Do I need two blocks on the side of the boom? Also what about the front of the boom, what should I use there to direct the lines downward? Using the top of the reefing hook was kind of sleazy Ė but it worked ok. Iíll also need advice on all the gear needed to direct the lines back to the cockpit. One other project this spring is to install a boom vang so please keep that in mind with block sheave and clutch recommendations.
>>
Please do not infer from my PVC muffler clamp rod holders or the lack of reefing rigging that Iím cheap. I simply want to be on the boat sailing not working on it ashore. Plus it seems there is always plenty to do with what we break throughout the season.
>>
Thank you in advance for sharing your time and expertise.
>>
LH
>>
I was trying to include photos of the setup that I currently have. Can someone also tell me how to do that?
>>

>>
>>
>>
>>
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook