SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dried Fish?
Thread: Dried Fish?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008

Yofy is on a distinguished road
I have tried drying fish in the past. This is a very dry and normally windy climate. Summer is way too hot (50* C) for curing fish outside. Even cleaning fish is touch and go because the fish are half cooked by the time you've finished cleaning them. But other seasons are fine.

I was told to just pack the fish in coarse salt for 48 hours. It actually worked although I'm going to try the brine next time. Crazy ru that was a very helpful post. Interesting about the sugar theory sasha.

My experiment came out quite dry and very salty. I ate it as a snack with beer (you do need a fair amount of beer on hand because did I mention it was salty.. ). That's the way the guy who showed me how to dry the fish ate it, but I do know you can cook with it as well...

Early cruising sailors often dried fish as a way of perserving them. I have a couple of books with pictures of fish curing up in the rigging while passagemaking.

I also smoke fish regularily in the winter. I'd love to get a good recipe for pickled fish if anybody wants to share!

Manny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook